Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Devin Townsend Band - "Synchestra"


The Devin Townsend Band - Synchestra
2006, Inside Out

1. Let It Roll
2. Hypergeek
3. Triumph
4. Babysong
5. Vampolka
6. Vampira
7. Mental Tan
8. Gaia
9. Pixillate
10. Judgement
11. A Simple Lullaby
12. Sunset
13. Notes From Africa
14. Sunshine & Happiness (unlisted track)

This was my very first Devin Townsend album. I loved the bits he did for Ayreon's The Human Equation so when I saw this at Best Buy I decided to take a chance and get it. Boy, am I glad I did! This disc remains my favorite to this day (with the exception of the new Addicted). The Devin Townsend Band is like nothing you've ever heard before. It's heavy, melodic, crushing, beautiful, dense, atmospheric, evocative... I can't think of a way to describe it. Perhaps the closest thing would be "organized chaos." You'll hear everything - distorted guitars, keyboards, horns, odd vocal parts, and other strange noises. And it's all distilled into this thick soup of progressive rock/metal that's nothing short of awe-inspiring. Not too mention the hooks mixed in that bring the album together. I'm convinced that the music played in heaven probably sounds something like this.

Useless Fact: Some editions of this disc come with an extra DVD with the band doing some live tracks.... wish I could have gotten that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment