Saturday, November 7, 2009

Paramore - "Riot!"



Paramore - Riot!
2007, Fueled By Ramen

1. For a Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic
2. That's What You Get
3. Hallelujah
4. Misery Business
5. When It Rains
6. Let the Flames Begin
7. Miracle
8. Crushcrushcrush
9. We Are Broken
10. Fences
11. Born For This

I will not mince words - Paramore's debut, All We Know is Falling, was boring. B-O-R-I-N-G! My wife and I were listening to it in the car when we first got it and skipped track after track. It was full of turgid, lifeless songs that failed to bring anything new to the table. Imagine my surprise when my wife showed me the video for "Misery Business." Holy crap! They figured out how to write a hook! It's almost like a completely different band! Riot! is full of fun power-pop. Whether it's the 80's vibe of "Crushcrushcrush" or the playful gallop of "Fences" the songs are bright and exuberant. The disc isn't perfect though "When It Rains" and "We Are Broken" sound like they could be on some random Christian radio station. Overall though, the band is definitely on the right track. Kudos to them!

Useless Fact: Okay... not a fact but Haley's hair looks like Cyndi Lauper's. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment